Morocco is well known for their tajines and couscous dishes and this chicken and vegetable couscous is no exception. Grilled meats served on top of an aromatic vegetables and legumes stew. Something you can plan ahead with vegetables of choice or use whatever leftover vegetables you have in your refrigerator or pantry.
This chicken and vegetables couscous recipe uses combination of root vegetables, squash and peppers along with chickpeas. The spice mix is a combination of Moroccan spices. Ras el hanout, coriander seeds and cumin which give a wonderful taste to the dish.
The technique for this dish is to marinate the chicken and to grill it into a Dutch oven, set the chicken aside and then cook the vegetables in the same pot with the leftover marinade. Bring your vegetables to a boil with the broth, set the grilled chicken pieces on top, cover and simmer away!
This dish goes hand in hand with couscous. You can use plain couscous or follow my lemony couscous recipe.
Minimal dishes to wash for maximum flavor! Enjoy.
- 2 lb of chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Ras el hanout
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Acorn squash
- 3 cups of white cabbage, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 turnip, cut into one inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cup of canned chickpeas
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat a large Dutch oven on medium high heat with the olive oil.
- Cook the marinated chicken breast for 5 minutes on one side until browned.
- Turn the breasts over and cook for another minute. Reserve on a plate
- Cook onions for 4 minutes over medium heat. Add oil if required.
- Add all of the vegetables and leftover marinade to the Dutch oven.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, mixing throughout with a wooden spoon
- Add the vegetable broth until vegetables are covered.
- Bring the whole thing to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts on top of the vegetable mixture and cover.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Uncover, add the chickpeas and warm through.
- Serve over a bed of lemony couscous.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.