Sweet, sour, with a spicy kick if you desire!
This quick and easy sweet and sour cabbage side will make you wonder why you’re not eating it as your main meal!
We are big fans of cabbage here! It’s a great vegetable to use in every day cooking. Whether its eaten raw, in a salad, cooked in a stir fry or baked as stuffed cigars, it tastes great all around.
This recipe is inexpensive and easy to make. If you make a large batch, you can use this as leftovers throughout the week for
- a quick lunch,
- side for a weekday meal
- snack during the day.
The only tip for this sweet and sour cabbage recipe is get everything ready in advance! You are going to be cooking with a wok at higher heat for shorter periods of time. The end result will be flavorful cabbage that maintains a nice crunch.
- 1 medium sized cabbage (2 lb)
- 24 Szechuan peppercorns
- 8 whole dried chilis
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cut the cabbage into 1 inch dice
- Mix the sugar and salt together
- Mix the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil together
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok on medium high heat
- Add the chilis and Szechuan peppercorns and cook for around 1 minute, stirring throughout.
- Add the cabbage (you might need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your wok) and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and salt and stir to coat (1 minute)
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil and stir to coat.
- Serve right away.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
So easy to do and so delicious!