As my wife would say, you can’t go wrong with potatoes and sausages.
This recipe rounds it up with a tasty tangy tomato sauce that you’ll want to wipe off your empty plates. If you are looking for an easy weeknight diner meal for your whole family, look no further!
This is one of those meals where you want to ensure your young kids will also enjoy it with or without sauce!
For the sausages, I used a mix of italian sauges and toulouse sausages. Use spicier or milder variations depending on your preferences. As for the mix of herbs, although I used thyme, bay leaves, rosemary and oregano, do play with the mix of herbs for your sauce and try different combinations.
Using a large baking or roasting dish to have an even layer while cooking will get the best results.
After cooking in the oven, what you are looking for is golden sausages and roasted potatoes at the top with roasted tomatoes ready to burst to make your sauce.
- 1 1/2 lb cherry tomato
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 6 sausages (Italian or equivalent)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Boil and salt water in a pot for your potatoes. Leave them to boil for around 7 min. You don't want them completely cooked as they will continue cooking in the oven.
- Strain your potatoes and put them back in your pot and cover to steam for 3-4 min. This will remove extra water from your potatoes.
- Put your tomatoes in your roasting pan along with the garlic, herbs, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper and mix it up to coat evenly.
- Once your potatoes are ready, add them to the tomatoes and get them to an even layer.
- Spread your sausages on the top of the mixture and put the pan in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take the pan out, turn the sausages to color on both sides and put it back in for another 15-30 minutes.
- Put the sausages and potatoes in a warm plate and work on your sauce. Turn the heat to medium and break the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Reduce to the desired consistency.
- To serve, stack some potatoes, followed by your sausage(s) and top with the tomato sauce. You can also sprinkle chopped fresh Italian parsley for enhanced flavor.